The Writers Guild Foundation Archive welcomes interest in the collections. The materials are made available to WGA members, staff, researchers, students and the general public, with restrictions and conditions described below.
Please call or submit an email reference form before visiting the archives to determine if the information you seek is in the collections. Since several collections are unprocessed, the staff requires time for researching requests and retrieving materials which may be stored offsite. The archives cannot provide access to collections without a preliminary phone or email inquiry.
Due to the fragile and irreplaceable nature of the collections, the Writers Guild Foundation requires users to adhere to the following guidelines:
- Materials do not circulate and are to be used only in the reading room.
- Users must check in at the library desk, and provide a form of identification, such as driver’s license, passport, or Guild ID, to use the library and archives.
- All backpacks, bags, briefcases and large personal items must be placed in an assigned locker in the locker room near the entrance to the library.
- Pencils, laptop computers, and paper are allowed. Wireless internet is available.
- Food and beverages are not permitted. Cell phones must be turned off.
- After checking in, users must fill out a materials request form to access archival items.
- Materials must be handled with proper care, and kept in their original order.
- Use of materials may be restricted due to physical condition, confidentiality constraints, donor restrictions, copyright issues or unprocessed state.
Requests for Reproductions
As a rule, reproductions (photocopies, digital scans, and photographs) are not provided or permitted. At the discretion of the Archive Director and depending on copyright and privacy restrictions, researchers may use their own digital camera to take pictures of materials.
When citing materials in the collections, please credit the Writers Guild Foundation Archive as the repository for the materials. Please contact the Archive Director to obtain permission to publish reproductions of materials, as publishing materials is not covered under the fair use doctrine. The researcher must also obtain permission from the copyright holder before publishing. As a courtesy, please provide the Writers Guild Foundation with a copy of your publication that was based on research at the archives.