Writers Guild Foundation Shavelson-Webb Library
7000 W. Third St.,
Los Angeles, CA 90048
11am – 6pm Tuesday – Saturday
11am – 8pm Thursday
Closed MONDAY and SUNDAY
Parking: space permitting, validated parking may be available underneath the building (entrance on Blackburn Ave., one block south of Third St.)
The Writers Guild Foundation Library is the only library on the planet focused entirely on writing for the screen.
It is open to the public and home to over 30,000 items.
Our mission is to preserve and promote the craft, history, and voices of screen storytelling. To meet that goal, we collect scripts and related materials, and make them available to everyone who comes to visit – not just Writers Guild members. We provide wireless internet and a quiet place for writers to work.
Most of our collection consists of produced film, television, radio and video game scripts– many of which have received major writing awards (WGA, Oscars, Emmys, Golden Globes, etc). We also collect writers’ papers, books, periodicals, and other materials on the history, biography, art, craft and business of writing for entertainment media.
The collection includes:
- 16,000 produced television scripts
- 4,000 produced film scripts
- 760 radio scripts
- 100 new media and video game scripts
- 2,700 books on writing, writers, and the entertainment industry
- 5,600 taped programs, events, seminars, and interviews
The library provides reference help on topics such as:
- Writers’ credits and biographies
- History of writers in Hollywood
- Major industry writing awards
- WGA history
- Books and magazines on film and television writing
- Locating scripts in other collections
- Research strategies, copyright basics, and matters related to creative and business aspects of writing (See the library’s FAQ)
Areas of collection needs are development outlines for produced film and TV, annotated scripts, current television pilots, children’s program materials, and scripts from diverse voices, including women writers and independent and foreign cinema.
For information on renting the library, visit the library rental page.
Unfortunately, we are not a lending library. Scripts and other materials may not be borrowed or copied.
Bags, food, beverages are not permitted in the library, but there is a secure locker room provided for briefcases, backpacks, and other personal items.
Photo I.D. (driver’s license, student card, passport) is required for use of library materials.