LOS ANGELES, Jan. 22 – The Writers Guild Foundation will showcase the writers of a variety of movies and television shows, including MY SO-CALLED LIFE, GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, BOB’S BURGERS and MALEFICENT, at their “Scribble To Screen” event on October 25 at the Austin Film Festival. The writers will bring the early drafts and handwritten notes they generated during the writing process, and discuss these items on stage in a series of interviews.
Each writer will take part in 75-minute interview, with audience Q&A, aided visually by the materials generated during their writing process, which will be projected on a screen on stage. For instance:
- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY writer Nicole Perlman will discuss pages and panels from the original Marvel comic that inspired her, as well as side-by-side comparisons of her draft and writer/director James Gunn’s final shooting draft;
- MY SO-CALLED LIFE writer Winnie Holzman will discuss the original outline, as well as story and character notes, for her series, originally titled SOMEONE LIKE ME;
- Disney writer Linda Woolverton will track the social progress of Disney heroines across BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, ALICE IN WONDERLAND and MALEFICENT, three films she wrote;
- Marti Noxon will show note and pitch materials for an in-development adaptation of Gillian Flynn’s ;
- BOB’S BURGERS writers Lizzie and Wendy Molyneux will show script outlines as well as early animation tests for an episode they penned.
The WGF’s mission is to preserve and promote the craft and history of film and television writing; “Scribble To Screen,” in its second year at the Austin Film Festival, aims to serve that mission by spotlighting the many steps in the process of writing for the screen, including outlining, drafting and incorporating studio notes.
“The Austin Film Fest is known as the ‘writer’s festival’ – and as such, these writers will be able to provide an extraordinarily valuable peek into the professional process,” said Writers Guild Foundation Executive Director Katie Buckland. “We’re proud to give aspiring writers the opportunity to see that these writers face similar challenges and hew to similar workflows as they do.”
Here’s the full schedule of the day’s interviews:
9:00am: Winnie Holzman
10:45am: Marti Noxon
12:30pm: Lizzie Molyneux and Wendy Molyneux
2:45pm: Nicole Perlman
4:30pm: Linda Woolverton
6:00pm: Reception, hosted by Matthew Weiner